Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Stepping out to step up

These are challenging times worldwide, no doubt. For a lot of us, they are also challenging at a personal level. 
I have had the unexpected opportunity to step out of my habitat, my usual environment, and travel to my other country. This has been a gift that I will always cherish ... 
One of the things that stepping out of your daily life does, is give you a different perspective of problems, of how to approach those huge mountains that seem so scary on a daily basis and turn them into molehills, instead of the other way around. 
One thing we must keep in mind is that we are NOT our circumstances. We are who we are, and whatever difficulties we are going through at present are circumstantial. They will pass. But they will pass because we will rise to the occasion, after having gathered strength and perspective and a plan of action.
Getting away from it all need not be an escape. In fact, it should not be an escape, but a trip to our soul, to our inner strength.
Sometimes we get ourselves into the wrong situation for the right reasons, and then find ourselves in dire straits. Some of us have stayed too long in a bad marriage for the kids, some have lived off of credit to keep the wheel turning, hoping things would change. But they didn't ...
Nothing is really a mistake ... we made choices, and as long as they were made for the right reasons, according to our values, and not recklessly and with abandon, we should forgive ourselves and others and forget. we must deal with the cards we dealt ourselves, and keep on going. Never let anyone judge you for the mistakes you made ... and certainly do your best not to judge others either. We all know it is far easier to fix other people's problems than our own.
Far from my habitat, in my home country, away from what I see and do every day, I am learning that I am not the mistakes I made. I am a strong person, a happy soul, a good friend, a loving mother, a fantastic woman, and ... simply me. That is the best thing to be, not only for myself but for everyone. 
Now, issues and challenges ... move over .... I'm back on track!
You can do the same, and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Realizing one's shortcomings is the first step towards change. Step out and step up!

www.lorrainecladish.com

No comments:

Post a Comment