Saturday, July 25, 2009

What is success?

The other day someone asked me what my definition of success is.
I say success is whatever it is for you at any given moment. 
Success could be something as small as getting out of bed in the morning when you are depressed.
Success can mean making 10 sales calls in a row when you are a shy person.
It could be writing a chapter of a book every week, pursuing your hobby of photography, dancing, or skydiving.
Success is the feeling that you are living a purpose-driven life. It could mean having no debt and having savings, a stable income, or enjoying the now. It could be the fact that you are capable of doing something to help others even when you need help yourself. 
For me, success is sometimes each of those things separately or all of them at once. It means taking care of myself and my kids and striving for balance, while trying to change my perception of the world because only then will the world change in my eyes - for the better.
It is being able to appreciate the crackling of fireworks exploding in the night sky, even in the most challenging of times. It means having dreams, making a plan to reach them and sticking to it, no matter what. It is trying to live intensely instead of just going through the motions until a lucky break comes by. 
Success, for me, is being able to appreciate the good and the bad, the painful and the joyful while understanding that it all has a purpose.
What is success for you?

www.lorrainecladish.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment