Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I don´t believe in boredom

Definitions of Boredom:
Boredom is an emotional state experienced during periods lacking activity or when individuals are uninterested in the activities presented to them.
Boredom: a chosen state of mind brought on by laziness and the firm belief that others are in charge of the so supposedly afflicted person's own happiness.

I do not believe in boredom. I am puzzled by those who affirm they are ever bored! How is this possible? There are not enough hours in the day to accomplish all the things that I enjoy doing. This is not to say I am a "Type A" personality that gets a rush out of hyperactivity. I also cherish down-time: reading, walking, thinking, napping, sleeping in, conversing, being in solitude and in silence ... And I enjoy it all.
Boredom is, as stated above, "a chosen state of mind". If you have an inquisitive mind, you will never be bored. The hunger for learning, for living, for feeling will always keep you engaged. If you enjoy reading, writing, painting, or any other form of art or self-expression, boredom is an impossibility. Even if you find yourself in a situation that is not of your choice, such as a dull job or an uninteresting party your significant other dragged you to ... If you embrace it as a learning experience, as food for your art (we all have artistic tendencies), you will find it interesting and glean something from it. You will therefore enjoy it!
I am grateful that I do not know boredom. And no, I am not being smug about it, just grateful.

http://www.lorrainecladish.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment