Monday, December 6, 2010

Free Gifts you Can Give this Christmas!


Christmas should not be a time of stress spent at the mall or online, shopping for stuff, only to face January’s huge credit card bills and a host of gifts you have no use for.

Of course I wouldn’t balk at an IPad under the Christmas tree – I love gadgets!

But throughout the years I´ve grown less interested in material things (I´m not just sayin´: you can read my older posts if you are curious as to why!) and more appreciative of other kinds of gifts.

My children and close friends and family may get a present from me if my budget and time allows, but I find that there are other more valuable gifts that are free or low-budget and that are more gratifying to the soul, and those rank higher on my list.
Some of these:

-       The gift of time – Spend time with those you love, give them your undivided attention on a regular basis, even if it’s only once a week!

-       The gift of support – Think of a friend who is going through a tough time now (you may not have to think too hard!). Do something nice for them, like treat them to the movies, babysit their kids, or clean their apartment.

-       The gift of listening – Have you ever caught yourself thinking of what you are going to say before the other person has even finished talking?

-       The gift of your presence – We may regret not having spent enough time with a loved one – a child, a parent, a grandparent … Don´t let that happen.

-       The gift of mentorship – Do you have a friend or family member who would benefit from your guidance? Whether you are an artist, a writer, a juggler or an entrepreneur, your knowledge and experience is priceless to those who are starting out.

-       The gift of motivation – Offer to go jogging with your best friend if she needs to get in shape (and has expressed it!), to attend a seminar with your sister who wants to start her own business …

-       The gift of joy – Attitudes are contagious. Is yours worth catching? This may sound trite, but it reminds me daily of the fact that my best asset is my positive attitude!

-       The gift of forgiveness – Make a list of your grudges. Consider forgiving others as, in doing so, you are freeing yourself. This one´s hard! I know!

-       The gift of the written word – Write a heartfelt letter to everyone and anyone you wish you could give a material gift to. Tell them what they mean to you, list their virtues and happy memories you have about them, or even the tough times you shared.

This type of giving won’t empty your wallet and will fill your heart.
You may have others to add to the list! If so, please do.

¡Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment