Wednesday, January 5, 2011

On Moderation


Everything in moderation, including moderation. – Oscar Wilde

On my last post on goal setting, a friend stated that she had decided not to make resolutions or set goals for the New Year because she had learned that it only set her up for disappointment.

I put too much pressure on myself when I don't achieve them. I've finally accepted that I can live each day as a gift and find opportunity and learning experiences from each one,” she wrote.

There is nothing like knowing yourself! What works for one personality doesn’t necessarily work for another.

I´ve been running since I was a kid, mostly for my own enjoyment, and because it clears my mind. Lately a friend of mine has been asking me to run a half marathon with her. I’m used to running with no goal in mind, just for pleasure. But before the year ended, I felt the itch of a challenge and started to increase my mileage. It felt good to know I could run over 5 miles at a stretch, but it wasn’t so much fun to experience joint pain and fatigue. At one point I was over trained and exhausted.

I gradually cut back to my normal pace, which is rather moderate and realized that I don’t want to run a half marathon. I want to continue to enjoy running at my own pace and in moderation. I feel much better physically and emotionally already.

Running a few times a week for almost 40 years, consistently and moderately has taken me to a place of fitness and wellbeing that I enjoy. It may not work for other more competitive types, but it works for me.

So, I crossed off “running a half-marathon” of my list of goals for the year!
Thanks Sherri!

To know more about my books: www.lorrainecladish.com

2 comments:

  1. YES! I think one must be honest with oneself..Above all things... Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete