Thursday, April 14, 2011

Conquer Your Fear


The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Franklin D. Roosevelt

Fearlessness doesn’t equate courage– utter fearlessness can be a sign of immaturity or even a mental disorder. Courage is facing your fears. If you let yourself be ruled by fear, you become weak and vulnerable and that can lead to a miserable life and even depression.  

Throughout my life I’ve overcome several common and extremely inconvenient fears: fear of public speaking, fear of flying, fear of heights, fear of failure and – after a near fatal car accident – of driving. There may be more, but those are the ones that come to mind.  

The most effective way of overcoming a fear is to acknowledge it and face it head on. I overcame my fear of driving by getting back behind the wheel over and over, the fear of public speaking by accepting interviews and giving presentations.

I conquered my fear of flying by flying!  Long before the tragedy of September 11, I asked to visit the cabin of a commercial plane, and when I saw the pilots weren´t pulling out their hair in a panic, I relaxed!

And of course, when I became a mom, knowing that my kids are always watching made me enjoy every flight with them and take it just like they do: as an adventure.

What fears have you overcome?

What fears would you like to conquer and what are you willing to do to face them?

If you enjoy this blog, please like my Facebook. Page.

To know more about my books: www.lorrainecladish.com

No comments:

Post a Comment