Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I Was a Really Good Mom, Before I Had Kids.

I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids, by Trisha Ashworth and Amy Nobile is a fun read. I picked it up at the library book sale for a buck, which I´m grateful for. Now I can reread it as needed!

The dirty little secrets of moms, that pepper the book´s pages, bring comfort to the gender that was born with a guilt gene! If nothing else, its nice to know that I´m not the only mom who second-guesses herself most of the time and who is yet too quick to judge her sisters but doesn´t enjoy feeling judged herself! Sound familiar?

“I wonder if I´m spending enough time with my kids?”
“Perhaps I´m spending too much time with my kids? Maybe they should go to bed earlier, so I could work more …”
“Am I putting them to bed too early? Maybe I should be more relaxed about that …”
“Are they getting enough sleep? Am I getting enough sleep? Should they sleep in their own bed? Should I nurture them more? Am I too strict? Am I being a wimp? Am I as good a mom as Mary? She is in all the PTA meetings, and makes cupcakes from scratch …”
Blah, blah, blah …

If you can remotely relate to the mental chatter, grab a copy of this book and be ready to laugh when you recognize yourself in some or all of the pages.

One of the best lines reveals that men may feel guilty about something specific, like having whacked their kid on the head with a tennis ball by mistake, for example, “but none of that ´am I a good dad´ BS” that we wear like some kind of sick badge of honor.

Next time you do something for yourself that you feel guilty about, such as work out or spend time alone, ask yourself: “Do I regret it?” If the answer is no, ditch the guilt already!

For more books by Ashworth and Nobile, visit: www.reallygoodmom.com

If you enjoyed this blog, like my Facebook page

To know more about my books: www.lorrainecladish.com

No comments:

Post a Comment