Sunday, February 7, 2010

Consistency over time ...

A couple of days ago, I was having blood drawn for my yearly check-up. The nurse looked at my arm and said: "You must work out a lot!". When I laid down for my exploration, another nurse said "You have such a flat stomach! You are so lucky!". The fact is that I do not work out as much as I would like to, and that I am not as "lucky" as some people think in that arena. It is all a matter of a trite but true concept I have recently been reminded of by others, which is: "consistency over time". Of course I am proud and happy to look like the picture here at the ripe age of 46 and with two young kids in tow! But this is largely the result of having exercised 2 to 3 times a week in some way or another for my entire life, since I was around 12. It did not happen overnight not is it the result of spending hours at the gym or starving myself today.


Consistency over time is also how I have written and published 15 books over the span of 17 years. I never waited for "the right time", when I would have money and a few days or weeks off to sit and write a book. I have always written more or less regularly, no matter what, whether single or in a relationship, with our without money or work, after deaths, marriages, separations and having babies. Life has a way of getting in the way while we are alive, and Rome was not built in one day. We seldom see the results of our actions immediately. But if we keep up a moderate effort to achieve any goal we set our minds to reaching, whether it be physical, intellectual, emotional or material, eventually it pays off.
There is no secret to getting things done, other than doing them! I am inspired when I see others pursuing their dreams, doing what they want and need to do in order to feel their life is a life worth living.
So, excuse me, since I have to work on my next book - but that will be after I go for a run and tuck my girls in bed, and once I´m done with my freelancing work on a Sunday evening while others watch the Superbowl.


No comments:

Post a Comment