Monday, August 29, 2011

Why Run a Half Marathon


Early this year I wrote a blog post explaining why I would not run a marathon. Alas, today´s post is about why on November 20, God willing, I will run my first half marathon.

On the one hand, long-distance running is eerily similar to:

o   Raising kids
o   Writing books
o   Trying to publish those books!
o   Having a relationship
o   Life´s challenges

The reasons why I’ve officially registered for the half-marathon and started training: 

o   Because I want to know what it feels like to cross the finish line after running 13 miles with hundreds or thousands of other runners
o   Because the discipline of training spills into my writing career
o   Because I´m going to write about it and it´s the only way to do it with authority
o   Because it´s not quite the same to overcome an obstacle or reach a goal because you have to than because you set out to do it, willingly.  

It doesn´t need to be a half or even a full marathon. What goal are you willing to take on because you want to and not because you have to?  

Follow me on Facebook or Twitter.
Diario del Éxito (Success Diaries) will be published in book form late in 2011 by ediciones Obelisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment